Article three of the convention provides general principles, in my opinion this is the 'heart' of the convention and it helps us to demystify it. All the 49 articles are linked to this article. Knowing it can help persons with disabilities and different stakeholders in the society to claim rights and to work towards a barrier free society for people with disabilities.
What is the content of article three of UNCRPD?
- Respect for inherent dignity, individual autonomy including the freedom to make one's own choices, and independence of person,
- Full and effective participation and inclusion in society.
- Respect for difference and acceptance of persons with disabilities as part of human diversity and humanity,
- Equality of opportunity,
- Equality between men and women,
- Respect for the evolving capacities of children with disabilities and respect for the right of children with disabilities to preserve their identities.